What is Dry Ice?
Dry Ice is solid carbon dioxide (CO2). It is -78.5°C and is made by pressurising, cooling and compressing gaseous & liquid CO2. Dry Ice is reclaimed and recycled CO2; therefore is carbon neutral, making it a sustainable media.
Dry Ice is moisture-free, non-conductive, non-abrasive and non-toxic, ideal for cleaning sensitive high value assets.
The Dry Ice we use at Polar IceTech is manufactured in a BRC certified / regulated (food grade) facility. It is suitable for use in industries such as Food & Beverage, Pharmaceutical and Medical Device.
What is Dry Ice Cleaning?
Also known as Cryogenic Cleaning, Dry Ice Blasting or CO2 Cleaning, Dry Ice Cleaning is the process of cleaning and decontaminating surfaces with Dry Ice.
Dry Ice Cleaning is an efficient and cost-effective way for industries to maximise production capability, reduce their carbon footprint and extend the lifespan of high value capital equipment. We are the only Irish company providing this service to industry since 2005.
Dry Ice Blasting is a 3 step process:
1. Kinetic: Dry Ice is accelerated through a stream of compressed air.
2. Thermal shift: As Dry Ice is -78.5°C, it freezes the contaminant on contact and causes it to become brittle and crack.
3. Sublimation: Dry Ice sublimates from solid to gas, lifting the contaminant. Therefore, there is no secondary waste stream.
Key Features of Dry Ice Blasting
- Non-Conductive, Dry, Moisture-Free: Suitable for use on electrical equipment and components
- Non-Abrasive: Does not damage surfaces being cleaned, can be used on very delicate components and surfaces
- Non-Toxic: Contains no chemicals
- No Secondary Waste: Changes from solid to gas form, so only waste remaining is the original contaminant
- Environmentally Responsible: It is a carbon neutral media
Why Dry Ice Cleaning is Lean & Cost Saving
Dry Ice Cleaning has the following features which, when used, is efficient, time saving, equipment saving and cost saving.
- NON CONDUCTIVE – Dry Ice is a dry, moisture free, non conductive media; safe for cleaning all equipment (including electrical). It does not require wrapping of electrical equipment, disassembly or removal.
- NON-ABRASIVE – The process is safe for use on sensitive equipment and does not damage delicate components or surfaces. This improves equipment and component lifespan and saves in costs of repair or replacement.
- NO SECONDARY WASTE – Secondary waste stream removal and disposal can be a significant cost to companies. For example, some Irish industries use up to 1 million litres of water per annum in the cleaning process. This then needs to be treated and removed, a significant financial and time cost. Dry Ice Cleaning eliminates this cost.
- NON TOXIC – Dry Ice is an environmentally sustainable media that does not contain chemicals. Traditional cleaning methods that contain chemicals can cause damage to equipment, need significant treatment of water and can require additional cleaning. Dry Ice is also much safer for employees.
- CLEANS IN PLACE – Reduces downtime as there is no need for disassembly.
- FASTER CLEAN – Dry Ice Cleaning is a more efficient process, as it can be up to 80%+ faster than traditional cleaning methods.